Friday 11 February 2011

FF DAY 6 - ASMA BAHARI


Today we're featuring a very sweet and talented lady .. all the way from Malaysia. Amna (Team Member) confessed that she loves this featured artist's segment as it makes her feel as if she's traveling around the world :) It is true as Maritza said .. "a single paper strip can sure open up this world and let us befriend many nice and creative individuals". So lets meet Asma..


Name: Asma Bahari


1. How did you start with paper quilling?
I can't really remember the exact date, but it was somewhere on year 2004. I found this art accidentally online (while google-ing for craft ideas) and at the beginning, I didn’t even know it's name! 
I learned by observing and by trying, I didn’t know anything about tools and such, and started cutting the paper strips using a ruler and a craft knife.
And even now, I only feel comfortable using my own hands to roll paper strips, no slotted tool, no needle tool used :)

2. What about your other resources?
I love reading books about all arts & crafts but especially paper crafts such as paper quilling, origami, book binding.
But my main source I have to say is online, since its reachable and accessible any time.  There are many creative people out there that display their work on the internet, and I can easily get in touch with them thru the internet.
But books also contribute a lot in inspiring me, as well as other people surrounding me as I always spend my weekend reading craft books at bookstores and hang out (talk about craft for the whole day) with my family and friends as well as other local crafter.

3. What can we know about Asma the artist?
As an artist, I love to make something new. even I learn a lot from other crafters, but I always make sure I can came up with my own designs. I love to be inspired and I want to inspire others. I love to try other art forms sometime and always try to combine different arts & methods into quilling. Other forms of arts that I like are bookbinding, cartonnage (the art of making box), origami, letterpress, scrapbooking, crochet, sewing, and many more actually.
Basically, I just love everything about art ;) but to be honest, my formal education background is actually zero from art :P

4. So you’re studying? Does practicing hobbies affect your studies or any aspect of your life?
I am currently working and just furthering my master study in quantum information and cryptography. Practicing hobbies really does affect my life. Through craft, I can express my feelings and stabilized my emotions and thoughts and practicing new art during my free time would add more sensation and makes me enjoy my time. In short, it can actually take myself out for a while from hectic life and I found that this is actually the best therapy for me ;)

5. Do you teach arts & crafts as well?
I am really new in this activity since I just get in touch with local crafter recently. But throughout the year, I attend some workshops and sometime help other crafter as assistant instructor in her workshop. But usually I just teach informally for those who ask from me.

6. What value do you have from arts & crafts?
I sell my art so basically the benefit is in terms of money. But other than that, I actually gain appreciations, critics and comments from people. through this kind of benefit, I can always figure out how to improve myself and at the same time maintain my good skills. From my art also, I gain self satisfaction and it completes my life.

7. How can we view your work or get in touch with you?
I do have a blog: simplerhyme.blogspot.com
and if you’re active in facebook, I have made the page for my blog:www.facebook.com/srhyme
I also have saved pictures of my arts online and it will be updated from time to time: http://simplerhyme.blogspot.com/p/gallery.html

Don’t go away .. We still have Asma’s work to show you. So stay right where you are and admire!!!




Amazing creations, Asma. Ladies, I visited her blog and believe me you'll be stunned!!! Thanks Asma for sharing and thanks to all who visited us...

1 comments:

Alia said...

Wow, this work is stunning!! Thank you so much for sharing! WOW!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment...Your kind words mean the WORLD to me :)